Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A&P by Updike

This short story was my favorite. I found the story to be somewhat comical in a sense. The narrator gets right to the main attraction of the story in the first sentence saying "In walks these three girls in nothing but bathing suits" (430). I mean it is a little creepy that he and his fellow store clerk just stare at the girls as they wander through the store, but the way they do it is quite funny. They are so bored in the store that watching the girls becomes a sort of game for the narrator, he even compares it to a game of pinball trying to figure out which aisle they will come down next! The second part of the story the narrator gets the chance to check them out, in more ways than one, when they come to the counter. When the manager embarrasses the girls for wearing bathing suits in the store, the narrator makes a failed attempt at heroism by quitting as the girls are leaving the store. He is hoping that the girls will notice him and be so appreciative of his actions, when in reality they could care less what he decides to do. Part of me wants to feel sorry for him because he did quit his job and really has nothing to show for it, but I also feel like he should have known better than that. I enjoyed the story and found it very pleasant to read overall. If I had to pick one thing to take away from this story it would be to stand up for what I feel is right, but go about it in a smart way.

No comments:

Post a Comment