Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cathedral by Carver


This short story has been my second favorite selection that we have read for this class thus far. When I saw the title I was expecting the content of the story to be more centered on religion, so it was interesting to find out otherwise. Because the title of the story is "Cathedral" I feel as though that is were we are supposed to find some sort of deeper meaning to the story. In my mind it was not just a moment that helped the husband and the blind man bond but also has some significant meaning to the husband particularly. When the husband asks the blind man if he knows anything about Cathedrals one of the facts the blind man knows is that the men who began work never lived to see the Cathedral completed. I found a connection with this when the blind man asked the husband to close his eyes as they finished the drawing. It was sort of like a trust exercise. Just as the men who built actual Cathedrals had to believe they would be completed, so to the husband had to believe their drawing would be completed. The take away point for me in this story was that you can't always be in control. Sometimes you have to trust that other people know best, and that everything will turn out the way that it is supposed to in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment