Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Death of a Saleman by Miller

Death of a Salesman was an interesting play. As I read it I had a sort of commentary going on in my head sort of like "Come on Happy, stop pretending everything is okay right now. You are getting on my nerves!". That is just one example, there are plenty more where that came from. My feelings toward Linda go back and forth. Sometimes I feel sorry for her because she has so much to deal with, but then she also irritates me when she tries to blame her sons for the way their father has turned out. In  my opinion Willy is completely responsible for his own madness because he was the one who tried to push his own ideals and standards onto his sons without even considering whether or not they wanted to follow in their fathers footsteps. Biff was by far my favorite character. He is the only one who seems to realize there is a serious issue and it needs to be dealt with not just pushed aside. Linda clearly ignores the problem because she leaves the pipe down in the basement, leaving Biff to be the responsible one to go and get it. Happy is constantly lying and tries to convince Biff to lie as well when they meet with their father for dinner. Biff refuses to mask the truth because he doesn't want to keep pretending things are fine anymore. By the end of the play the only character I was not completely fed up with was Biff. I never thought I would get so involved with characters in a play I had never read before! Even though I went through a bit of emotional turmoil from the characters, it was an pleasurable read overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment