Thursday, January 23, 2014

Church Going by Larkin

Before I read this poem I thought I knew for certain what it would be about. In my mind I thought it would be about a family that attends church regularly and just describe their personal experience going to church. I had to revise that quite a bit actually because I was not even close! It was about a guy that stops into churches every now and then and he can't explain why. As he is in the church he wonders what will become of the church in the long run. In my perspective I think he is an atheist and is sort of just waiting for the world to realize he is right. At the beginning of the poem it seems like he at least respects the church because he walks in cautiously so as not to disturb anything that might be happening. As the poem progresses I think his true feeling comes out because he starts saying how eventually no one will know what the point of church is. He even says that he doesn't know what the "barn" is for. Religion is becoming quite diverse and a lot of people are even leaving religion altogether. This poem reminds me that we need to let people believe in what they want and respect others viewpoints as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment