Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Papa's Waltz by Roethke

For this particular poem I made a prediction of what I thought the poem would be about before I read it. In my mind I thought it would be about a father who had danced with his daughter for the last time before he passed away. I don't know if any of you know the song "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman but that is also one of the things that came to my mind before I read the poem. It turns out that it was not what I had expected it to be. For one thing, it turned out to be a father and son, not a daughter, dancing. I do feel like they were attempting to dance with each other, but the father is clearly drunk and not able to concentrate on what he is doing. The only snippet of the mother we get is that she is frowning, clearly a sign of disapproval that the father has been drinking. It is quite unfortunate that the family has to deal with the father in this state, because he is supposed to be the one that protects them from anything. For me this is one of those things that just make you question how anyone could do that to their family. Why is it so important to drink? The only thing it does is tear families apart. Something as simple as waltzing with his son is extremely difficult, and probably not even that enjoyable anymore for his son, because the father has chosen to drink. Again I feel an important aspect of the story to take away from reading would be not to take anything for granted. The husband had a wonderful family that he was pushing aside whether he realized it or not. No one should ever have to deal with a situation like that, and my hope would be that people would realize how good they have things before they go and let things get out of control. Definitely a poem worth reading, not at all what I expected, but I enjoyed it just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment